Friday, April 26, 2013

Tweens & Weeds

Memorable moments this birthday weekend at the lodge:

+ "Errrmerrgerrsh, merrr errrrmmm!!! Herrrherrrhherrrrr!" -- Devin

+ Simultaneous looks of shock from both Ann and I as we noticed that her son, seven hours younger than Devin, now has a patch of armpit pubes. We followed this with a duel tackling of Devin to see if HE has any yet. This induced squeals of protests and giggles from said child. So does he? Nope. My son is still perpetually prepubescent.

+ Journeying up the stairs towards the two main waterslides at the lodge, a short conversation about the two main slides:
Devin: "One has lights and music. It's really fun! You'd like it. The other one is SCARCY, mom... It's pitch black in parts of it, and there's this huge drop in the middle that goes straight down..."
Me: "So which one are we going on?"
Devin: "The scarier one, duh!!" **surrounding kids giggle** "Oh, and mom.. whatever you do... just... please, don't cry... okay? I will make fun of you." **pats my back** The nerve!! :-P

+ Kneeing myself in the face while going down the tornado (yes, the scarier one.. again) with Ann. I am now sporting a wicked swollen bruise on my nose. Good job, Kristina! You freaking klutz.

+ Trying cotton candy ice cream. And licorice ice cream! I looked totally goth. Which was fitting, because I felt TERRIBLE afterwards. Definitely not lactarded-friendly. My son ordered a cup and forgot to grab a spoon. Didn't bother mentioning this fact until we got all the way back to our room. Waited for it to melt, then drank it like a milkshake. "Hehehe... Thiiisss was my plaaaaaan..." he said, hunched over in his best Igor impression, before glugging down the melted mess.

+ Looking around the hall and finding my son in the gym, going to town on an exercise bike. I tap on the window. Upon seeing me, he comes out of the gym and flexes an arm. "Ehhh, look at my guns. They're SO HUUUGE."
Me: "Duuude.. you were on a bike..."
Devin: "I KNOOOOW! I'm talented, huh?" and kissed his bicep.

+ Running up and down the five flights of stairs on an extended 7 hour magic scavenger hunt with Devin. He is now a proud master magi. And I am the proud owner of sore legs.

+ My little fish, who is also a master swimmer, scared the crap out of me in one of the pools by coming up deep from behind, and pulled me under by my feet! ACK!! I spun around underwater, not knowing who it was, and he threw me a peace sign while still chilling at the pool floor.

+ Watching my son helping the younger kids on several occasions when he didn't know I was there. My heart.. it melted.

+ Hearing Eric's voice crack for the first time. He covered his mouth with both hands in surprise, and we laughed. I assured him it's only temporary. Devin's is still high and squeaky.

+ The warm fuzzy feeling I get every time my son sweetly comes up to tell me that he loves me, and hugs and/or kisses me, even if it's in public. He is not embarrassed at all by it. I hope this never changes, but there's a part of me that knows... The years I've enjoyed of his boyish innocence will be over very soon as he grows into a young man. The tears swell just thinking about it. I hope his kind, goofy, good-natured, loving, helpful traits remain with him past this age well into his adult life. Everyone says the teenage years are toughest. God, I hope not... I've so far loved every minute of watching his personality evolve and I don't want that to change. He's beautiful. By far the coolest creation I've made. I am lucky. Lucky lucky lucky to have him as my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment